Sunday, December 7, 2008

Before You Know It...

As a youth I experienced the freedom of being without necessity. I answered to, for the most part, no one, nor did anyone answer to me. I would find myself caught in a daze not regretting yesterday, nor analyzing today, nor preparing for tomorrow. I would float in a tranquil state of limbo, coming nor going. Full of vigor about what I might become, but not sure of what I might become, and not at all afraid about not knowing.
Ah, to be young...throwing caution to the wind. I knew not of consequences nor did I care to know. When my heart desired something, and most times the choosing would be made in haste, I would pursue with the reckless abandon of a hurricane or tornado, devouring all that dare to stand in its path, all that stands in defiance of its self-gratifying rage, my self-gratifying rage. The emotions that drove me; rage, lust, conceit, impatience, envy, jealousy. How I would long to bend, manipulate, and seduce. I would flatter and deceive with the cunning of a serpent. I would appear to be one thing at one moment then something of the contrary the absolute next. Not to capture, but to hunt is what enticed me to no end. What tactic or grand strategy should implore at this go-around? The question would cause the tingling sensation of goose bumps to populate the backs of my arms and neck. I knew no bounds...and why should I've? I was but an adolescent.

Then, completely out of no where, with no identifiable cause...wham, bam, boom, you wake up one day and your mind is absolutely racing. Tomorrow becomes today so fast it makes your head spin. For some illogical reason the short and long hands on the clock change places, and because of this, you some how seem to no longer identify things through the same lens you once did. The world has discovered that you do in fact exist and your hibernation has come to an unmistakable halt. Decisions, decisions, decisions...around every corner awaits a decision to be made. The masses assemble to gorge on your being; leaving you with mere portions of your once-upon-time self. Your mind no longer chases after desires and passions. However, you've become almost programmed to worry endlessly about your needs...food, shelter, clothing, gas, taxes, insurance (of every kind). Transportation, communication, companionship and loneliness...you don't sleep so silently, so softly anymore. You grow dependent..."this will make me attractive, powerful, adored, needed, wanted...this will make me something, anything, so long as I don't have to deal with the degraded, bottom-feeding existence which is my life, my reality."
No longer does the warm and ever so gentle rays of the sun peaking through your shades wake you from your slumber; not the aromas of scrambled eggs, toast, and milk with honey; not the melodious melody of the wind blowing, accented by the sounds of the birds chirping on your window seal. No longer will nature's symphony transition you from a coma like slumber to a zestful rise and approach to the out-set of the day.
What wakes you now, you may be wondering? The alarm clock, at a most uninviting hour. It throws you to your feet from your often short lived, inadequate rest...rise and shine, it's time to walk, run, stop, go, turn, smile, jump.
Surprise...you're all grown up!

2 comments:

Josh said...

You express the emotions felt by a lot of different people.

Have you always written so poetically?

careergoals said...

No...not always.