Why is it that two individuals with relatively the same intellectual capacity can find themselves on such uneven playing fields due to the environment in which they come from? Socio-economic, demographic and other factors can play key roles in determining one's successes and failures in life. If given an opportunity, like exposure to influential role models; a financially stable, nurturing and supportive household where both parents are present; access to the best education and training that money can buy; even the least ambitous of the lot can increase their chances ten-fold of affording themselves a better chance of becoming a productive member of society, who ultimately finds stimulus in his/her calling.
How do we then grant equal access to the education and training necessary for the legions of underprivileged, underachieving individuals in the world? I remember the old saying, "it takes a village." Parent, community, school and church must each play their part in raising the world's youth. We must invest in the futures of our young: providing community based scholarship programs for financially deficient homes; mentorships as rites of passage, giving tomorrow's leaders a clear and concise vision to aspire; after school programs, counseling, job training/career counseling, and so much more and more and more. As a community, we must pool together our resources, unite as one in the effort to salvage the future of our children.
It burdens my heart to the very core to know that there are those who have come before me, who are this day, and who will never see their dreams come to fruition simply because they were not surrounded with the tools they so desperately needed in order to "be somebody." What saddens me more is that issues like these can be avoided in droves, if only we were to open our eyes and rise above the ignorance that plagues and cripples us as a people.
But thank God for tomorrow, for it promises to be a better day.
Wake up!
DeLunte J. Lewis
Founder & President
Career Solutions
careersolutions.lewis10@gmail.com
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Dear Blogger,
I respectively disagree. I think the misfortunes of the masses is a common misconception in America. For example, what do you consider an "uneven playing field" and "bad environment" to be?
First of all, I have no idea what background you come from. From your post, I'm assuming you come from at least a middle-class family, and you have developed a sensitivity to those of less fortune.
Well, let me tell you -- *I* am those of the "lesser fortune." I come from an extreme blue-collar family; I was raised in several differnt homes; and I never had the Tommy Hilfiger jeans I so wanted growing up.
However, am I underprivileged? I will get my college degree next spring. I will go to bed tonight being full. I will go home to people who respect my opinions.
I can do all that because I grew up in a supposedly poor socio-economical condition. I had plenty of money, plenty of intellectual capability, and a drive that superceded most of my peers. Why? All because I grew up in a family that taught me I had to earn everything I received.
I feel, if anything, I am the overprivileged in America. Because of my upbringing, I have a respect and work ethic that can be surpassed by no one. I'm proud of where I came from, and am I much better person for it.
I've reached my Dream. I am America.
First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I believe your background is exactly the type I refer to in terms of what young people need to be exposed. As for my background, I'm a product of extreme poverty. My mother, father, brother and I at one point slept in a car. I can remember instances like the one where we moved in with a mentally ill woman from my mother's childhood, unannounced and unwanted, both gang and roach infested. There was a time when we bordered in a rooming house, the four of us in literally one room... it was quite a childhood.
I, too, in the midst of such harsh circumstances, never felt an ounce less of love and support from my family. Unfortunately, though, due to our lack of financial stability, my brother and I were never afforded the opportunities that most middle-class children are privy to: college savings plan, trust funds, good credit, etc. There are some individuals who simply have all the promise in the world but never come to realize their true potential due to a lack of resources.
However, back to the family dynamic. Support from family is tantamount. I've seen a number of my friends in childhood, too great to realize, who have grown up without a father, whose mother roamed the streets searching to "cop a fix," some have actually been encouraged to venture out into their respective neighborhoods and attempt to "make a living." Therefore, I, too, declare myself one of the unfortunate, one of the underprivilaged. I've seen so many of my peers waste away, and believed at various points in my life that my fate would be similar. But I thank God that He lead me to so many of the tools that have created within me a desire to succeed in life: mentors, an education, the support and nourishment of a family.
So I respectfully agree with you. Unfortunately, there are not enough people having this type of dialogue.
Wow ... I wrote an incredibly long message, and the internet completely lost connection and made me lose everything.
*sigh* It was good too. Oh well, God bless man. Good luck in all your endeavors.
Please, try to retrieve it. I would love to read your complete thought.
Post a Comment